Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ok, this is crazy!

This has been a bad week, from bad weather to work. Just all the way around. Right now it is bone chilling outside. The low tonight is supposed to be -1. That's just crazy! And it's supposed to be like that for the next 3 nights!! The snow from Christmas is still on the ground and doesn't look like it's going anywhere real soon.

Yesterday was quite different too. I know I looked at that schedule several times the week before, I just know I did. But somehow I was on the schedule for a Bonus shift yesterday. I did not know this. I was out in the cold for 3 or 3 1/2 hours feeding and breaking ice and settling the horses. This included dealing with the water trough heaters. The little darlings wouldn't leave them in the troughs and one of them, they stomped on and broke all the hard plastic off. I had to break ice on the creek too, and it was thick enough to ice skate on. A running creek no less! It was a wonderful afternoon.

So I come inside and sit in a daze, trying to thaw out. It was about 6:00 or 6:30. Just sat there sipping on hot coffee. I thought I'll thaw a little and I'll take a shower and put on some warm jammies and relax the rest of the evening. It was right at 7:00 and my phone rings. It's work, "where are you, your supposed to be here!?!" "What, no I'm not!", "yes, your on the schedule".... Anyway, it was a strange conversation. So I grumbled and took a shower and went to work. Hadn't even eaten yet, and my shoulder hurt from breaking ice and I was tired and, and , oh well. So I went to work and it was a busy night. Bless Donna for going to 10 tower. See, they not only insisted that I come to work but wanted to pull me to another floor. After the afternoon I had had I wasn't going to be happy about that at all. Anyway, I did make it through the night barely, and Julie shared here supper with me. She always brings in good food. That did make it better.

We didn't get the snow they were predicting for last night, but we did get the wind and cold. Came home, put on WARM jammies and crashed real hard. When I got up this afternoon, my husband informed me that the little darlings had removed the water heaters again and that he had "beat them all with the cords." He was joking of coarse.... but it was a thought. So this afternoon it was back to breaking more ice. It wasn't real thick in the troughs because they did leave them in most of the day. So feeding did go easier this afternoon, not that 10 or 15 degrees is easy. I am still tired.

Well the boss calls at 5:00 this evening as I am thinking of shower and getting ready for work, cause I am on the schedule that I have for the next 3 nights. We're going to put you on call, there are 5 patients though so there's a real good chance that they will call you in. OK, I'll watch the championship football game and then probably go to work.

Well Texas lost McCoy in the first few plays and Alabama is looking real good at this point. After the half I dozed on the couch, confidant that as soon as I got real comfortable they would call. Sure enough, almost 11:00 and the phone rings, just as Texas is coming back, (maybe). It's Allyson and they need me to come in. I tell her I'll be there in just a little bit, going to take a quick shower... and off I go. My husband chuckles a lot when they do this to me. I think he secretly likes to see me tortured. Just as I am getting out of the shower he brings my phone in and says work is trying to call you, call them back. What, it's only been 10 minutes or less even.

Well they had Liz, an RN in resource pool working on 10 tower and they were getting ready to send her home because they didn't have enough patients so they were going to send her to the unit and I could just stay home. Wweeelllll, I just wanted to get up off the couch that was so warm and cozy and take a cold shower just for the heck of it. Anyway, now I am awake with no place to go.

Oh by the way, Alabama won! I was rooting for them because they were the underdogs and my husband was for Texas. Hey Allyson, you won. Her and her husband were doing the same thing. Girls win tonight!!

Sorry, don't have pictures. Cameras don't do good breaking ice in the tundra.

1 comment:

  1. What do you mean "awake with no place to go?" You can still come to work and visit ME!?

    ReplyDelete