Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Entertainment???

OK, Monday was going to be a busy day from the get go. Had to get feed, the farrier was coming, needed to move things around....

Got up early, got the feeding done and moved a few things into the new temporary feed/tack room. Put up a shelf. Had to go get feed. Feed store doesn't open until 9:00AM and the farrier was coming at ten! Had to somehow pull this off.

Off to the feed store. The new de icer's weren't in yet, they'll call me. OK. So back to home base with the feed. On the way home, Mr. Burton, the farrier calls and wants to know if its OK to come at 11:00 instead. Suurreee, thats great....... Gives me a little more time.

As I pull off the highway and down the short road to our road, I look over and there is a midget horse with tail straight up, running around the west pen and look there's a dark grey --- and Spot --and Charm. Oh great. They have taken the fence apart again. Wish I had pictures of this. The one group in this pen are now in that pen and the ones from that pen are now in this pen. Get the picture? I thought, "what am I gonna do, and the farrier is coming!" Fine, you guys are gonna stay like this all day. If I try to get them all back to where they are supposed to be, they'll be so fired up when the farrier gets here we might not get anything done. Just let them calm down where they are. So I put the panels back together. By the way, they can undo the panels somehow and have several times. Usually when it is most inconvenient!

Got the fence fixed, the feed unloaded and now on to the farrier. This actually worked out pretty good. Good idea guys. We used the round pen to trim everyone. Racheal was good, Sweety has a mind of her own. Narley just said no, Spot was an angel. Little Eddie, (the midget horse I spoke of, he's a weanling), watched all with interest. Charm his mom hid in the corner of the pen.

On to the next group. One at a time I led them through, first Gracie, she did great. Then Red, then Chester wouldn't let me catch him, then Sam who was especially good, then Solitair. Still Chester wouldn't let me catch him. His mom will be real dissapointed in him I think. Then Tez. Finally, went to get Chester's red halter instead of the old green one. Quess what, he walked right up and put his nose in the halter. He just didn't like that other one, what a pain.

Then on to Trucker, he's not a problem at all. And then to Rascle. This farrier is new to her and she didn't particularly like the process. Anyway, got it done.

Still have to switch everyone back, which is the fun part. You see they have done this before and my husband always snickers cause he just knows that it will take forever to get it done. So I walk out to the gate in between the pens and here comes all the young ones. Open the gate and they all go home, and oh look, come here Gracie and Red, Soli come on. Here come the older ones, Group 2 through the gate. You would think that they did this every day! They like their own feed buckets I think and it's getting close to time.

Anyway, it was a very entertaining day. Pictures would have made the story better, but didn't have the camera with me. Probably would have thrown it at them in the beginning anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment