Sunday, January 10, 2010

ICE

Someone took "White Christmas" way to seriously. We have had that Christmas snow on the ground way to long. It's time for it to go away. It has been the coldest winter on record I believe, at least between Chistmas and January 8. The average temp has been 23.5. It got above freezing yesterday but there is so much ice the troughs were still frozen. The good news is it is supposed to get to 40 degrees today. I hope so, I have alot of catching up to do.




There are still schools out today in Oklahoma because of icey roads. I bet parents are really ready for kids to go back to school. I need to take down the Christmas tree. Thought Chris was going to but no such luck. Need to do laundry but the washing machine was leaking the last time so someone needs to look at that. The dishes are piled high, ussually are by the time I get a day off. Then the outside chores. Need to clean out the troughs thoroughly. Start at ground zero with the ice. And hopefully the creek will thaw some. I have never seen this creek freeze solid like this. It had to be 6 inches thick! Brought back great memories of ice skating when I was a kid though.



Garry was watching us play on the ice. She probably just wanted to know when she was gonna get fed. She's like that you know. Just a Diva, it's all about her, haha.



Fortunately, none of the horses attempted to walk out on this, that I know of. It would of held them but it could be a bad habit and horrible if they went through.

I was hoping this picture would turn out better. The ice was clear all the way to the bubbles and you could see how thick it was. Was neat to look through like that.

As you can see from this blog I am easily entertained and there hasn't been much entertainment going on around here. Not much horsey stuff, just survival. Hopefully with warmer weather that will change!



On a sad note, both swans are gone now. The male swan was killed about a month ago, probably by a coyote and then this week the lonely female swan was attacked by a dog, with the pond frozen she couldn't get away. And then what little ice everyone could break for her, she froze into the pond one night. My husband got her out but she just never recovered from the bite then the cold and the broken heart. Swans are life long partners you know. We will miss them.














1 comment:

  1. Today was the warmest day of the year! And D, my mom says you shouldn't walk on ice-no matter what...
    Sally

    ReplyDelete