Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tulsa State Fair!

It has been a very busy, but rewarding week.  Last Tuesday was very busy, after getting off work at 7 am and sleeping a few hours the packing and preparing for the show started.  Getting the trailer ready for "camping out" at the fair.  Getting horses ready.  Without Sally and family it would have been almost impossible!  Sally bathed horses, helped pack and we had time to clip horses before the sun went down.  To bed early, so rise and shine on Wensday.

Wensday morning, 5 am, wide awake.  Start gathering last minute stuff, checking to make sure everything is there.  Packing more in the trailer, planning how the day will go.  Sally and Patience were here before 8:30 and moved all their stuff from one vehicle to another.  Everythings packed, feeds in the truck, hay, shavings, now horses.

The loading went great and Sally didn't panick, Chester almost beat her into the trailer.  He had a short small fit after the door was closed, then off to pick up Prize and on to Tulsa.  We were in Tulsa and unloading before 1 o'clock.  Doing better than I thought.  After the unloading, Marlin went home to feed and will be back tomorrow with Mom to watch the show.  Set up our "happy home" for the next  days and then worked with the horses.

Of coarse, as soon as Prize went into her stall she came in, there were 2 stallions behind her, and my complements to both those stallions.  They were extremely well behaved despite her offers.  We did move her before night fall though, just in case.  But she was wound up for Prize.  Rode her in the arena and she calmed down after a while.  Patience had a practice session and did well.  She is very independant and was frustrated because I wouldn't just let her go!

Off to the trailer for planning for the next day and as much sleep as possible.  Woke Sally up at 5 am so we could all get a shower and have time to work with the boys before the show started.


Everything has gone quite well and we're dressed and ready to go.  Then, after all the hurry up, theres a big wait.  The fair has decided to use our arena to do a foto shoot.  It worked out though because I went ahead a braided Chester.  No braids for Tez, he is too western looking.  I'm pretty nervous by this point, I have never done Sport Horse in Hand before and neither have the horses.  Sally went first and did very well.  I was really proud of both of them, Sally and Chester.  The judge was really nice, and helpful.  I think he could see the fear and panic on our faces.  I made it through and Tex did OK.  Now off to get Prize ready.



During the break, I took Prize up to warm up and she was just full of herself.  She even crow hopped a little.  I was in a major panic, I can't let Patience ride her if she is going to act like that!  What to do.  I kept riding and she calmed some.  Finally Patience arrived dressed and ready.  Well, we'll give a shot but on a lunge line at first just to be sure.  Again, Patience is getting agrivated with me because I won't just let go.  Finally I got brave and let them go and Patience and Prize went to work.  It was amazing, the confidence that little girl has and the determination.  She paid attention to the other horses working and were she was going and did great!  I am still a nervous wreck!  Finally, time for their class and I walk them to the gate and tell them good luck. 



It was amazing, they did awesome!!!!  And at one point Patience was on the wrong diagonal and corrected it!  I was so proud.  I went out as header so Sally could take pictures.  Grinning from ear to ear.  I won't doubt Patience again.  And then the pictures, with her 3rd place ribbon........




No comments:

Post a Comment